Monday, July 27, 2009

If you can't say anything nice, sit next to my mom

Mothers and Daughters - out of all of the relationships I have had in my life, my relationship with my mother has been the most valuable, the most all-encompassing, and also the most complicated. What I love best about my mother is also the thing that bothers me the most sometimes - she is brutally honest. As in, if you are looking for someone to fluff your feathers, don't call my mother. As an adult, when I go shopping for clothes, I can still hear her commentary. Like today, when I tried on a bright pink dress, I heard her voice, as clear as day, say "Oh my god, you look like a beach ball." Which would be funnier if she hadn't actually said it once, when I was trying on something back in the day.

I called my mom today and we laughed about the beachball dress, and I think she felt bad that
I remember her saying negative things. The truth is, she isn't perfect. I don't think I'd want her to be. Or else, I would be walking down the street in a bright pink dress and people would be secretly thinking..."that poor girl, she looks just like a beachball."

4 comments:

Julia said...

Well look at you finding the silver lining in that cloud.

If we could just get those voices out of our head.....haha. I hear my mother, too...when I am nagging my husband. ewwww

Athena is a ... said...

I don't know. I find her brand of honesty rather scathing and unnecessarily unkind. I think you can "tell it like it is" without wounding people. You take it far better than I do!

Rosemary said...

That's how moms are sometimes!!
I'm glad she didn't let you walk around looking like a beach ball.
Just catching up on the blogs.
Rosemary

Jen Kershner said...

Hey girl! I was just thinking about you and wondering how you are. I hope all is well.