Monday, May 19, 2008

Boondoggle

Have you ever heard of the word "Boondoggle?" Well, it is one of my favorite new words. My friend Jackie refers to days that are "breaks from the norm" as Boondoggles. Today, for example, was what I would call a Boondoggle. For one reason, because it is a Monday and I almost always work on Monday. Combine the unusual day off with shopping time with my Mom and you, my friends, have a serious Boondoggle.
I finally got to give my mom, aka "Miss Absolutely Impossible to Buy For" her Mother's Day gift. She has a teacup fetish and loves this Royal Doulton pattern called "Old English Roses." It is a little too floral for my taste, but she likes it and that's all that matters. Translation - very easy gift that is sure to please! Hope you liked them, mom!
Now, we just need to get you the rest so you can have your tea party that you keep dreaming about!
So, we wound up in Old Towne Orange, my favorite spot for Antiquing. So much junking, so little time. I almost bought a white adirondack settee but my mom talked me out of it because she thought it was "wobbly."It's a shame too, because it was only $100. I could just see it sitting in my yard with some fun splashy colored pillows. Maybe I will have to look for one "sans wobble."
I didn't leave empty handed though...I found 2 more flags to fly in my front yard this summer. One with a darling beach chair on it and an American Flag to fly on the 4th. It was always a dream of mine to have a flag for every season and I am about half way there. I also found an adorable glass gravy boat ($12.00) and a cute silver pedestal ($12.00). I also treated my mom to two vintage pyrex dishes in a buttery yellow color (for her new pyrex collection.)


We had lunch at Gabbi's, a really highly regarded Mexican restaurant in "The Circle." It is really authentic inside with some amazing decor. (Not to mention delicious salsa!)


Tim had the lobster crepes and I had...(gasp)...a salad. How boring, BUT I have my weigh in tomorrow, and the scales don't lie, right?

I did nibble on a few chips. BUT I didn't order a mojito or a sangria, even though I really, really wanted to. REALLY...REALLY...wanted to.


When was the last time you had a "Boondoggle?" I would highly recommend making time for one this summer. They are a great way to shake up your week.
Hope your week is off to a great start, my friends.



1 comment:

Jeff said...

I really wanted to join you at Gabbi's. I couldn't resist supporting Dad's desire to go to the Cuban place instead 'cause he's usually the one to take the back seat and go along with what everyone else wants.

I hope you and I can go back to Gabbi's soon so I can try those shrimp tacos! I'm not much for shopping, but I would love to walk around...that area is so beautiful.