Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bushels of Fun

We had such a fun time today in Oak Glen. What a perfect way to celebrate fall and enjoy being outdoors. We decided to bypass the uber-crowded part of Oak Glen (known as Riley's Farms) and head straight to Willowbrook which was a wee bit more authentic and manageable for the kids.After a brief lesson on apple picking, they let us loose on the orchard. Tim was handy to have around because a lot of the best apples were up high on the tree (out of the reach of most of the little apple pickers). The kids were so excited to have their own bags to fill with apples!
I couldn't help myself - I had to snap a few shots of how beautiful the apples were on the trees.
The perfect pick!
Love this group shot of the boys. Poor baby Ryan did a good job trying to stand for the pic.
Funniest part of the day was our time with this horse that they have at the orchard. They have a bucket of carrots that you can feed to the horse and each nephew took a turn giving the horse a carrot. Unfortunately there was one orange object just slightly out of the horse's reach. He kept trying to get his head through the fence, but this orange object was just too far to grab...
Yep, he was mistaken for a carrot. Poor Ryan!And of course, the animal lover in me fell in love with this girl...Blossom the Pig. I asked Tim if we could take her home. Isn't she the cutest?
After getting our fill (literally) of apples, we headed to Oak Tree Village and checked out some of the shops and ate lunch. We were lured in by the 9 inch high apple pie that everyone kept talking about but by the time we got around to the bakery, they were all gone! I guess I will just have to make my own with the 2 dozen apples we picked.And, Tim bought me this darling fabric pumpkin pillow. I saw something similar in Solvang and regretted not buying it when I got home. I think it is the perfect keepsake from the day.
So friends, what are your favorite things to do to celebrate fall? I would love to hear how you ring in my favorite time of year.

No comments: