Sunday, July 6, 2008

Back in time...

We had about three big family vacation destinations growing up - Las Vegas, Idyllwild (we owned a cabin there), and Solvang. Visiting any of these places takes me back in time - I can close my eyes and just picture my sister and I getting a big ice cream cone in the peak of summer with my dad (I think mom must have been shopping while we were indulging.) Or taking my allowance and going through the stores feeling like the world was my oyster and trying to figure out which keepsake to bring home. And the food...well, let's just say I was a foodie, even back in the day.
For me, no trip to Solvang would be complete without a trip here...
For a big plate of these - Aebelskivers (pronounced e-bel-skee-ver). They are ever carb lover's dream. Little spiced donut balls crisped in a cast iron pan, then dusted with powdered sugar, and dipped into the best raspberry jam you have ever tasted.
Pure bliss...
Here is my silly fiancee' (post breakfast). We were totally stuffed!
After breakfast, we walked around town and I got some great shopping in (I will post pics of my finds later). I couldn't help but stop and take a picture of Solvang town center all decked out in its 4th of July best. There was a big town bbq and a parade right through the heart of town.
Is it any wonder my mom loved sharing this town with us?


2 comments:

Rosemary said...

Hi,
What fun!!
Congrats to you both!!!
Rosemary

Rosemary said...

Hi,
Me again!!
Send me your email and I will send you the price list. Or in the email you can tell me which pieces you are interested in.
By the way, I love your new ring!!!!
Glad you like Halloween as much as I do.
Rosemary