Saturday, February 14, 2009

Things I learned after spending 10 Valentine's Days in a card store.

So, most of you know that before I went to work for Williams-Sonoma, I spent 10 years working for American Greetings. AKA the center of the universe on Valentine's Day. Here is a list of things that I learned while I was in the epicenter of Valentine madness: 1. All that glitters...
Men think that buying a very expensave card with a lot of glitter and accoutrements is always the best way to go. For them, it is more about the way it looks than what it actually says. I promise you. For us girls, I think it is the exact opposite. Men, save your $7.00 and write a nice note. Seriously.
2. My Fuzzy Valentine?
Big bears with a heart sewn to them are king. No matter how many other classier (and less furry) options are available, some people just can't help themselves. They see the bear and the card and they just have to have them. Who are the girls (women?) that actually hope to receive a big furry bear.
3. One for my baby, and another one for the...
Mistress? I know this is hard to believe, but I actually witnessed men picking out a card for the wife AND a card for their mistress. Gross. Really gross.
So, my poor Tim has it tough because I don't really like ANY of the trappings of your traditional Valentine's Day. No red roses or bears or balloons for this girl. Luckily, he knows me well enough to know that Indian food take in, a movie, and some heart felt words really do the trick. And for him, a fun gift and a surprise dessert.

1 comment:

Athena is a ... said...

So weird as this may sound, I think stuffed animals have feelings and every year after Valentine's Day I seriously feel sad for all the leftover bears, especially (for some reason) the huge gawdy ones. Tonight at Walmart I was *this close* to rescuing them all. I wonder if I get this from mom?