Saturday, February 21, 2009

Where does the time go?

You know that saying "where does the time go?"
Well, the answer to that question is here. It goes here. I spend an embarrassing amount of time on facebook. Imagine all of the time I could be out exercizing, feeding the poor, doing worldly good...Not to say that being an avid facebooker doesn't have its perks.
Facebook has given me the chance to find old friends and people who I have lost touch with. It feels so good to reconnect with people and I am so thankful to facebook for bringing some very dear people back into my life.
Tonight, while playing around on facebook, I found one of my all time favorite people - who we'll call Judi. Judi was so much more than my 6th grade teacher - she was a mentor, a role model, and a friend to me. I remember meeting her for the first time as an anxious, awkward 12 year old on my first day of Junior High. She must have sensed my "lost in the shuffle-ness" because she sort of took me under her wing. She helped me find my locker and showed me how to open the lock. She let me do things like make copies for her and run errands - she just knew how to make me feel important. All throughout Junior High and into High School (where she began teaching), she was a friend to me. We lost touch after I left PV to go to college, but I never forgot the kindness that she showed me. And I can hardly wait to thank her for it - eighteen years later, it still warms my heart.
I think Maya Angelou said it best -
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

3 comments:

Julia said...

It seems you have to get a few years away from someone to be able to look back and really appreciate what they did for you....and remember how they made you feel. When it's happening...in the now...you can't really appreciate it.

And I agree with you about Facebook. Tiiiimmme waaaaaaaster. Like blogs aren't! haha

I joined Facebook after being asked by some Silver Bella sisters and old highschool friends. Still trying to figure the whole thing out.

Please don't quit blogging...I love your writing.

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rosemary said...

I guess I am out of it. Not on Facebook!
Sounds like fun though.
Rosemary