Saturday, February 28, 2009

Standing Out

Standing out in my old company seemed to come really easily to me. I worked hard, did well, and people noticed. The way it should be. If they wanted something done well, done right, done quickly, I was their girl. It has been a little bit more challenging in my new job. In a bigger company, there are so many great people and so much talent - it has taken me some time to show them what I can do and to make my mark. I found out on Friday that my store has the top ranking cooking classes and technique classes in the entire company. Pretty amazing...And to top it off, I have been asked to speak on a regional conference call on Monday. So, I really want to stand out. Conference calls can be really flat lining and sometimes people talk and are so, well, forgettable. I want to make a mark. I thought about doing something funny - like asking for a show of hands...get it...on a conference call, you couldn't see the hands. Or telling them that I got a ball gown for the occasion - just to break the ice.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions to really make it memorable?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I'm glad the call went well. I wish I had seen this post before then so I could have told you all the things I've done wrong on webinars and other speaking engagements so you could avoid those pitfalls. My best advice is to find a local Toastmaster's club. Even though we can talk, who knew we didn't know how to speak? :-)
I tell people that the training for public speaking reminds me of the training for skydiving. Not because it's scary, though it can be a little sometimes, but because your mind is so focused on the various objectives that it leaves less energy for all of that unnecessary and distracting internal dialogue. Once you've been in Toastmaster's for awhile, you'll never listen to another speech without hearing the flaws. I think it's one of the best investments a professional can make in themselves.