Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Road Not Taken

Last spring, I left a job that I loved dearly at a company I had worked for and been loyal to for over ten years. I left at the peak of my career, after being given a position that I had worked a whole decade to get. I left because I saw the future of my beloved company was in jeopardy - the entire greeting card industry in fact - seemed in jeopardy. Good old fashioned cards and letters have long been replaced by texts, e-cards, and email. One day I had to tell a woman in her early sixties who had been with the company for nearly twenty years (who coincidentally had heart problems) that her store was closing. I had shopped at her store with my mom when I was a little child and here I was, two decades later telling her that she was going to be jobless. It was probably the worst day of work I have ever had to do. After closing nearly 15 stores, I started looking for a different company to grow with. I knew that I couldn't buy a house knowing that my career was unstable.


I accepted my current position in June 2007. It was the hardest choice I've ever made - because I loved my job. I loved my boss - I've never had a mentor that I loved or treasured the way I loved her. I put in my notice via email, got on a plane to Washington state (for work) and by the time I got off the plane, my phonemail was full of messages - asking me not to leave. After a lot of agonizing, I decided to leave. My new job was a step down from my "big fish in a little pond" status that I had at my old company. I went to a place where no one knew me, knew my accomplishments, or my abilities. It was amazingly difficult and I honestly have regretted leaving at times when my job has gotten difficult or I have missed being a part of my old familiar company. But I knew today would come.


Today, I found out that nearly 300 employees were let go, including my dear friend Erik who really was "one of the good guys." Thirty more stores are planned to close, and I worry that the rest can't be too far behind. It hurts to see something that I loved so dearly and worked so hard for start to fail. I invested ten years of my life to help that company make it. It seems like it is for nothing. I think about the days I spent at the corporate office and all of the friends I had there. I wonder which 300 people it was. Which faces, which names, which departments. I worry about the rest of my friends and my poor boss who I care for so much. My heart is heavy.


And yet, I am so thankful for making the decision that I made a year and a half ago. I know me and I would not be able to make it with the stress of so many friends being let go and worrying if I was next. Please pray for my friends at American Greetings. I have never known a better group of people. So much of who I am is because of them - their leadership, their guidance, their friendship. May God bless them and keep them all in his sight.

2 comments:

Msagkittykat said...

I was there for 11 and I feel the heartbreak!!!
Tell Angela I said hello wed.

Jen Kershner said...

It is so heartbreaking what is going on all over the country. Who knows where it will end? I'm glad you had the opportunity to make the change when you did.