Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Save a little wine for the bread" Bread

You know those recipes that you just pull out for the holidays. Like they would be completely out of place any other time of year...well this is one of those. We got this recipe from my mom's friend Marge when I was a little kid. It is amazing. This was my first shot at making it myself. I haven't had it in about 10 years - it was just as good as ever. Tim is convinced that it could be made way more often than once a year!
Here's what you need:
For the cake:
1 package yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix
1 small package vanilla instant pudding mix
4 eggs
¾ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup sherry
1 tbsp. Almond extract
2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/3 cup poppy seeds

For the Glaze:

2 tbsp. Melted butter
3 tbsp. Sherry
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
½ tsp. Nutmeg

Directions Beat together all ingredients (except for poppy seeds) for 10 minutes by hand. Add poppy seeds. Pour into 2 9x5 inch loaf pans or 4 mini loaf pans (greased). Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes. When cooled, remove from pans and pour glaze over tops.
I know what you are thinking, rediculously easy, right?
The only catch is the poppy seeds - evidently they are really expensave - I've never bought them before. I did a double batch and spent $9.00 on poppy seeds!!
Poppy seeds - $9.00
Other ingredients - $12.00
Recreating a family favorite in your own home while listening to Christmas music
- Totally Priceless.
Oh, and evidently they freeze well. Not that any of my loaves will make it that long!!
So, your turn - what is a traditional family food you always eat at Christmas time?


3 comments:

Sabina said...

Looks like a wonderful recipe!!

Merry Christmas!!

Melissa said...

Yum!

We always have neopolitan cookies. My sister bakes them every year. They are wonderful.

Merry Christmas!

Jeff said...

$9 for poppy seeds? Seriously?!

I remain in a constant state of drug testing readiness so there'll be no poppy seeds for me thank you!

When I see the name "Marge" in print, I can't help but hear it pronounced as Mrs. Simpson's foreign bowling instructor would say it..."Marrrrjjjj".