Saturday, January 10, 2009

On "When are you and Tim getting married" and why January reminds me of divorce.

I got divorced on a day just like today in January of 2005 - four years ago this month. The divorce was really the final step in a really long, agonizing process that began about four months earlier. I think that is what made it so difficult is that it really was the last step and was so final. I woke up that morning and went for my first walk ever - not sure what prompted me to do that. I just needed to get out and get some fresh air. I needed to think about what was going on in my life. As I walked, I looked at the flowers, noticed things about the trail that I drove by every day but had never really seen. And I thought of a quote that I loved but had never really had any meaning until that day...
"How sweet the roadside flowers would be, if they did not mean goodbye to you old friend."
After my walk, I got really dressed up - as if to say - look what you will be missing. I drove to the divorce place - the place where all the non-magic happens. It was a small office in Orange located on the second floor of a two-story building. The bottom floor was a paintball store. Derek and I had decided to meet there and sign the paperwork together. I actually insisted that we do it that way. Mostly because I really just wanted to see him one last time. And because I wanted him to see the pain this whole process had caused.
Signing divorce papers is like someone handing you a paper that says "I screwed up" with a big x at the bottom. It felt like that then and in so many ways, it still does. I don't remember much about the process exept that I asked for tissue becaue I was crying and they didn't have any. I remember being so shocked that a place that specialized in divorce paperwork wouldn't have tissues. Like I was the first person who had ever cried there. In my mind, they should have it set up and stocked with things to make you feel better - like tissues, and chocolate, and cute single men who wouldn't break your heart. They had none of these things.
Four years later, in my new life with my amazing fiancee, it is not every day that I think about things like this. But I still do, and it still stings. Not the way it did then, but in the way that this was my life, and I have scars from my past.
As I was walking today, I thought about it and reflected a little. Four years later, I have the scars. I also have my walks which I have been taking ever since that day. And I still stop and smell the flowers, or at least notice them.
So, when people ask when Tim and I are getting married, this is why I don't have a date planned. Or at least part of the reason. I love Tim and want to get married again. I really do. But it is difficult to jump in - again - knowing what the first time looked like. It is also challenging because Tim wants a big wedding and well, that is traumatic for me too, for obvious reasons. Instead, when people ask, so I don't have to expose my poor struggles to the world, I say "Oh, we've just been so busy."

4 comments:

Julia said...

Ohhhh...."rejection"....the heart never gets over it. I was engaged to the "love of my life" and he broke up with me 5 weeks before our wedding. Years later, I married a great guy, but to this day I still dream about the other.

Like the song, Strawberry Wine, is it really him or the loss of my innocence that I really miss?

Up until that point in time, I fully trusted. And to this day....being married to a great guy 25 years... I still remain guarded.

I loved this post...you are an great writer. I felt your pain...but I could feel your healing.

And you make me want to start walking!

xoxox, Julia

PS...thanks for the kindest of comments on my blog.

Peggy Houston, TX said...

Thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience and its hard to listen to your heart when other voices are louder (sometimes). Your strength helps me.

Melissa said...

Kris,

I think the scars we carry from past hurts are always with us, but become eased over time. They help to make us the people we are today; kinder and more compassionate for other's that may be going through the same things.

You are a kind and gentle soul and I wish only happiness for you. It sounds like Tim is the one that will help bring that into your life.

And, thank you for your kind comment that you left me. You lifted my spirits.

Love Melissa

Msagkittykat said...

I love you, and you are a great person. We all have the past and sometimes to not agree with thing. Look foward and how great thing will be. Tim loves you more then anything. I can see that all the way to Texas ;)
Life is too short, you never know what is going to happen.

Hugs!
Kat