Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Watching History

I am a Republican. I proudly displayed my McCain/Palin sign in my front yard for two months (even though McCain wasn't my ideal choice for a President.) I didn't vote for Barack Obama. And I certainly didn't anticipate feeling hope over his inauguration.
Yet I really do.
And when I watched the inauguration today, I cried two times. Once when I saw the soldiers marching in tune to "Yankee Doodle Dandy" and felt so connected to my country's history and so proud to be an American. And once watching Michelle Obama look at her husband with wonder as they danced. As though, their lives and their hopes had come to full fruition in that instant. Who wouldn't be proud to be an American on such a day as this.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Well, I did vote for him. I saw him a few years ago on Oprah and just knew that he was a leader. But, I am cautiously hopeful as he has alot to do and alot of critics watching.

By the way, I work with mostly Republicans and they refer to him as "your president" now....looking at me when they say this. So can you imagine the pressure I'm under? hahaha

Keep him in your prayers...Julia