Saturday, January 3, 2009

Just say...no?

I've always made pretty superficial New Year's resolutions - in fact most of them have been to either stick to a diet, or to exercise more, eat healthier - you get the idea. And although I could certainly stand to do all of those things, my resolution this year is different. I am saying NO - to over doing, to putting so much into things that don't give much back, to saying yes to things that I really don't feel much like doing. For example, on New Year's Eve, we went to a party and everyone was asked to bring an appetizer. Kristin in 2008 would have made something fancy from scratch and expended a lot of time and energy. Kristin in 2009 ordered some take out from a local restaurant and put it on a pretty platter. No one noticed that I hadn't labored over the food and it saved me time and trouble. Amazing, isn't it? I feel really relieved by not putting so much pressure on myself.
Do me (and yourselves) a favor and try it.
Next time you start doing something you don't feel like doing ---Say no!
I promise you will thank me.

9 comments:

Msagkittykat said...

I have to agree 100%...after my last few weeks, life has told me the same thing.

Jen Kershner said...

I think that is a fantastic resolution. You are wise beyond your years. It took me til I was in my mid 30's to figure out how to say that word. You go girl!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Wonderful plan! By making a habit of lots of little 'Saying No's' ~ Think of the time you'll begin to save, for yourself... for more time to do those things, which make your heart 'sing.'

When our heart is 'singing,' we have a smile on our face and are so much more at ease. Which sort-of "rubs off on" people around us. Thus bringing more ease and contentment, to our world.

Love the photo too! :-)

AuntAmelia
"On the wind of January
Down flits the snow
Travelling from the frozen North
As cold as it can blow."
~~Christina Rossetti

Melissa said...

Very sage advice.

And, Happy New Year to you.

Love Melissa

Julia said...

Hey! I love your blog and just added you to my favorites. I will spend some time in your previous posts getting to know you...but just the few I read, I think I might have met a long lost sister. I was around 40 when I told my preacher "No"......about a committee he needed me to serve on. The word slipped out and it felt so wrong......but yet right. He was very understanding and it was the beginning of a movement for me. Say yes when you want to and no when you need to. So freeing!

Now if I could only learn to say NO to food...hehe.

Enjoy the small moments of 09.
Julia Hackney (mizjuneytalks.blogspot.com

Rosemary said...

Good for you, I learned that one a little too late.
Happy New Year,
Rosemary

Jeff said...

A great movie quote you can use when someone calls you on not doing something:

"You know, I was going to, but...then I just went on with my life"

Melissa said...

Kris,

I am getting ready to send you a Meme. if you have time, I will have it posted on my blog later today.

Melissa

Julia said...

hey......go see Yes, Man...with Jim Carrey...great movie...about saying Yes but knowing when to say No. xoxo, Julia