Friday, August 15, 2008

Breaking Bread

Tim and I have been dating for almost three years and our families still haven't met yet. Weird, I know. The truth is I have a little anxiety about it because my mom had so much difficulty getting along with my ex husband's family. My mom is amazing and most people really love her - but I think sometimes she can take a while to warm up, which makes an initial meeting a little bit difficult. So, as we begin to put our wedding plans together, we think it is time for our parents to finally meet. Tim's mom Marsha and her husband Mike are in town from Chicago at the end of this month and we are planning a Sunday lunch for them and for my parents at our house. We decided not to include all of the sisters/nephews because we really want them to have time to get to know one another. If anyone has any advice on helping them connect, I would love to hear from you. If not, wish us luck. If nothing else, it will be a story to share, right?

3 comments:

Athena is a ... said...

Do we get to meet before the wedding too?

Athena is a ... said...

p.s. One word: SCRABBLE

Jeff said...

I suggest you hire a casting director to recruit professional actors to portray each of us. You can save money and avoid the awkwardness of them recognizing well-known hollywood actors by focusing on local theatre performers. You'll also need to develop scripts and conduct rehearsals. Despite the effort, the project will ensure a sense of inter-family closeness while eliminating the risk of interpersonal conflicts. If you do choose to get some big hollywood actors, I would like to see my role played by Alec Baldwin. Just make sure he doesn't drink too much.